So out came the hoe. It took me the better part of a day to remove all of the crab grass and other weeds that encroached on the circle bed. By the time I was done, I had a couple of good-sized blisters on my hands to show for it.
When I first devised the circle garden, I had in mind that I would line it with cobblestone. What I didn't anticipate was that twelve yards of soil mix would be added to it, resulting in a steep slope all along the edges touching the driveway. This made planting along the edge rather difficult and resulted in a look that was less than neat. Eventually, I decided that cobblestone as an edging material would not work and that I would need something a bit more substantial to line the bed. What I settled on was a low-lying wall that would help retain the soil and allow me to plant to the very edge of the bed.